When completed, the McKinnon Family Tennis Center will help to strengthen Lobo tennis, as well as tennis in the Albuquerque community. Positioned just southwest of The Pit, the facility will include 12 outdoor courts along with grandstands for spectator seating. By working closely with the USTA and Southwest Tennis Association, the facility will allow UNM to host regional, statewide, and national tournaments. With a master plan that includes restaurants, shops, and additional housing in the vicinity, it is projected that the complex will not only advance the opportunity for the Lobo men’s and women’s tennis teams to compete for conference titles and national championships, but could also generate $200,000 of additional revenue for the city of Albuquerque.
By upgrading the tennis facilities at UNM, the university will be able to host:
- NCAA Tournament Matches;
- Mountain West Conference Championships;
- New Mexico High School State Championship Tournament;
- Junior and Senior USTA Sectional & National Events;
- ITA Regionals (over 15 Universities in event);
- ATP/WTA Futures and Challengers (professional events); and
- Various community camps, clinics and leagues.